Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011

Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011! As many of you know, I have the good fortune of taking a year off to travel. Please enjoy my thoughts, rants and the occasional photo from parts of the world that are new to me. Please tolerate the lack of literary genius that sprawls these pages.



Thursday, July 7, 2011

Tiny Bubbles

In the heart of Champagne district is a small town called Reims.  Reims is ultra cool because they have a bus stop named in my honor.
Coolest bus stop...EVER!

I visited the Pommery Champagne cellars on the outskirts of Reims.  The cellars are down 116 steps that bring you 30 meters below ground.  I learned the Champagne process and saw how many bottles are turned manually to enhance the yeast process that creates those dangerous little bubbles.


Gates to the Pommery Estate.

I love when industry disguises itself as a castle.

Spooky scary stairs...you go first!

The cellar is an underground maze with small alcoves named for the cities that comprise the Pommery international market.

Manchester cave in the Pommery cellar.

Champagne is stored so the sediments fall into the stem of the bottle.
The bottle stem is then frozen so the solidified sediment plug can be removed.  Genius!

Much of the cellar is filled with art sculptures and audio/visual art expression.   For example, in one cave there was a repeated video playing of a man and a women doing up and down in an elevator.  No sound, other than the creaking elevator.  Another was a video of kids playing in the street.   It's interesting what is considered art - I wonder how much Mme. Pommery paid for her collection?

"I want a hippopotamus for Christmas...or one in my champagne cellar will do"

The cellar inventory contains over 20 million bottles, including some historical vintages dated back to the late 1800's.

Check that out...1874!

Champagne racks and candles... it was oddly romantic.

After the chilly tour, we were treated to a glass of Champagne, but only one glass.  I guess I am officially a lush.  Pommery has a tough act to follow after Dr. Pierre.


No comments:

Post a Comment