Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011

Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011! As many of you know, I have the good fortune of taking a year off to travel. Please enjoy my thoughts, rants and the occasional photo from parts of the world that are new to me. Please tolerate the lack of literary genius that sprawls these pages.



Saturday, March 19, 2011

Last Tango in Buenos Aires

What would my tour of South America be without tango?  As a result I headed back to Buenos Aires before flying home to Canada.


I went for dinner with my tour group to Fila which is known for it's pizza.  I had a veggie pizza which was wonderful and we paired our pizzas with some Alta Vista Premium Malbec.  After dinner a few of us went by taxi to Nucci for drinks.  After Nucci, four of us went to a club called Club Shampoo (http://www.newshampoo.com.ar/) . 

There was a line up to get into the club, and right away I knew I didn't fit in.  All the girls were gorgeous, super skinny, wearing very short dresses and very high heels.  They had long beautiful hair and there I was in my capris, flip flops and pony tail.  I took comfort in the fact that I will never see these people ever again!

My tour leader has a friend who is a local TV star.  Thankfully he did as we got into the club without having to line up.  If there was a cover charge - I didn't pay it!  Inside the club the beautiful women were drinking Miamis (champagne and sprite).   I had a beer.  Shampoo is a true dance club, and we were all packed on the dance floor and I had a great time dancing with my new friends and being anonymous. 
My last day in South America involved shopping the market on Florida street for a mate tea holder, and some dulce de leche.   I had tea in a café on Florida and Cordoba Street.  A man and young girl rolled up a 'contraption' cart and proceeded to set up right outside the café.  He had a dolley that carried his guitar, battery and amp. 
Battery powered contraption cart.

Streetside cafe musician and his tip collector.
He had his own stool, music stand (taped together a la McGyver) and a sun umbrella.  He proceeded to play guitar and sing with a deep, rich, romantic voice.  What a fantastic send off for my last day in BA.  I took a photo and gave him a big tip. 
In every South American city, there is a classic Irish pub.  Of course, Buenos Aires was no different.  It was afternoon and I figured my friends would be at the Irish Pub outside our hotel.  I decided to join them.

Classic Irish Pub

Close-up of the inviting establishment.
Is there anything in the picture above that would indicate this Classic Irish Pub is a strip club.  You can imagine my face when I walked in...hey...that's not Irish Clogging! 

At 7:45 we gathered to go to the Tango Show.  Before the show started, we all had Tango lessons.  It was really fun.  I learned the first basic 6 steps of tango, the "Ocho" twist, and how to wrap my left leg around the right hip of a man without canning him in the crotch. 

Narrator and twirling tango dancers.


Tango dancers.
The Tango show had amazing costumes, dancers and live music (violin, accordion, piano and cello).  There were 6 dancers and a narrator (singer).  The show took you through the History of Tango from the 1880's to today.  

Fede, my tour leader, had to leave the Tango show early, and on his way out we said our goodbyes and told me "Happy Birthday".  This was odd as it wasn't my birthday, I figured he mixed me up with someone else.  Well, about 30 minutes later the show stops and the house lights turn on.  The performers start singing Happy Birthday...to me!  They brought out a lovely piece of cake with a candle.

Happy Birthday to me!

Then I was given the privilege of dancing with Senor Tango, one of the performers.  It was the best February birthday I've ever had!

Zanner's debut as a Tango Dancer.

Next stop...Dancing With The Stars!

Waiting at Gate 5 in the BA airport, I can't believe I am on my way home.  I could stay in South America much longer.  I only wish that all my friends and family could be here with me.  I love the weather, the people, hearing Spanish all around me, and the fact that I am no longer the scared tourist that arrived 5 weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment