Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011

Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011! As many of you know, I have the good fortune of taking a year off to travel. Please enjoy my thoughts, rants and the occasional photo from parts of the world that are new to me. Please tolerate the lack of literary genius that sprawls these pages.



Sunday, May 1, 2011

Hot Tub Time Machine

In Bath, England there is a set of man-made stone pools (baths), fed by hot springs, that date back to the Roman times (40 A.D.)  These baths are where the Romans would enjoy the healing powers of the waters.  The water is green and very turbid and can reach up to 49 degrees C.  You can drink the water, if you can get over the rotten egg smell!
Ancient Roman Bath found 4 meters below ground.

Bath is a beautiful city with a lush, manicured park along the Avon river decorated with the Pulteney Bridge. 

River Avon in Bath, England.
Pulteney Bridge - it has shops built onto the bridge.

All the buildings in Bath are the same color and design.  There are rows and rows of sandstone houses in the valley and up the hills.  A section called "The Crescent" puts a slight curve on the view.  Photos don't do it justice - it looks like the perfect town.

Typical street in Bath.  Some of the row-houses are missing windows due to a window tax that was implemented.
The Crescent.

I also stopped in at Stonehenge on my way to Bath.  Stonehenge looks exactly like the photographs and I hate to admit it, but it was not a "wow" experience for me.  Our tour group had the discussion on if the stones were placed by man or aliens - since nobody knows for sure.  My vote is with the humans.
Stonehenge is not as big as you think.
"Hello...Aliens?"

We lunched in Salisbury, England at the Ox Row Inn.  I was looking forward to having a Salisbury Steak in Salisbury.  However, nobody in the area knew what I was talking about.  What!?!  No Salisbury Steak in Salisbury???  I settled for a tuna melt and a pint of Carling. 
Pub in Salisbury, England.  Alas...no steak...

Salisbury is known not for steak, but for a cathedral with the tallest spire in England.  It is a cute, quaint town.
The only steak I could find in Salisbury.

No comments:

Post a Comment