Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011

Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011! As many of you know, I have the good fortune of taking a year off to travel. Please enjoy my thoughts, rants and the occasional photo from parts of the world that are new to me. Please tolerate the lack of literary genius that sprawls these pages.



Tuesday, January 10, 2012

African Rodeo Techniques

I must begin by saying that the restroom facilities in Africa are quite varied.  I saw everything from the traditional North American, to the pit latrine (aka - hole in the ground), to the squatter, to everyone's favorite...the bush toilet.  I cannot express how important it is not to rely on the bush toilet.  It basically means that you must sneak behind the truck and let 'er rip free style.  When you are surrounded by carnivores, it is a pretty risky task.


The Squatter.
Awesome version of the bush toilet that we only found once.
Pit latrine (sorry if this offends anyone, but it's real and I used it).
I must admit I was pretty rusty when it came to technique for the squatter.  My first intro to a squatter was in Italy (6 months ago) but I still was unable to master a true strategy.  Thankfully, my friend Thalys from Brazil provided me with some great pointers. 
Pay attention all you world travellers.  You will not learn this in any guide book or travel TV program.

Squatter 101

Using a squatter toilet is like being at a rodeo.  Anyone from Calgary will appreciate this.  The trick is to make sure that you or your clothing do not touch anything...anywhere!  First you start by rolling up your pant legs.  Second, when you are unzipped and preparing to lower, you gather your lowered trousers at knee level with your left hand.  This is similar to how a cowboy ropes in near the neck of the horse or bull, and is critical to making sure nothing hits the floor.

Great rodeo technique (photo courtesy of Wikipedia).
Thirdly you put your right hand above your head and move it back and forth, cowboy-style, to maintain your balance.  Remember, if you make contact with anything you will be disqualified.  Anything resembling a bareback, saddle bronc or bull rider is bang-on technique.  It's your choice whether you  yell "Yee Haw" or not.  Personally, I am in favor of shouting out a little "Pee Haw"!

No comments:

Post a Comment