Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011

Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011! As many of you know, I have the good fortune of taking a year off to travel. Please enjoy my thoughts, rants and the occasional photo from parts of the world that are new to me. Please tolerate the lack of literary genius that sprawls these pages.



Friday, January 13, 2012

Bats and Hyrax

The lodge I stayed at in the Serengeti was in a rock.  The Seronera Wildlife Lodge  was carved out of the kopjes and rock outcroppings.  The lodge had an open concept and an amazing architectural design with million dollar views. 

Outdoor seating by the bar.
Dining hall with rock walls.
Lounge/Bar area.
View of main entrance.
All around the lodge were many different types of lizards, all very strong in numbers.  They were everywhere!
 
Pretty pink and purple lizard.
Then there were the rock hyrax.  These rodents look like a rat, but without the tail.  There were hundreds literally everywhere, including inside the lounge,  in the hallways, by the bar and swimming pool due to the open concept.    
Rock Hyrax eating a snack.
Suntanning Hyrax.
Trying to be cute.
They were very tame and love to suntan on the rocks and on the stairs.  In fact, I wanted to use the stairs to get to my room and I could not.  The rock hyrax had taken over and wouldn't move out of my way.  Geez, who's the paying customer here?

Although I loved my time in the Serengeti - I did not like this lodge.  Bats were hanging in the rafters of the dining hall, and the place was swarming with insects.  During dinner,   a waiter asked me to "hold still" so he could pick a bug out of my hair.   If bats are hanging above your dinner table, you can imagine where the poops fall.  I was happy to say Sayonara to the Seronera.

Seronera did have great views, I'll give it that!

No comments:

Post a Comment