Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011

Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011! As many of you know, I have the good fortune of taking a year off to travel. Please enjoy my thoughts, rants and the occasional photo from parts of the world that are new to me. Please tolerate the lack of literary genius that sprawls these pages.



Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Dama: To The Top!

Today is our last day in Woliso and Gindo.  I must admit I am not sad to say goodbye to my rock hard bed and cold showers.  Definitely sad to say goodbye to the amazing people I have met here.

Our day started with the completion of interviews and medicals with the BEKA children.  Each child was given a care package which included their photo, some soap, a toothbrush and a soccer jersey.  What would our last day in Gindo be without putting those new soccer jerseys to good use?

Deb assembled the BEKA children in a clearing near the construction site for the education center.  The children were excited to play two soccer games:  boys vs. boys and girls vs. girls.  I was pleased to see many people from the community gathered to watch the games.  We must have had fans in the hundreds (and one cow). 
Can you spot the soccer fan cow?
With Bryce as the referee and Deb as the scorekeeper, the kids put on an amazing show.  The kids played their hearts out in their new jerseys and bare feet.  These kids are really, really good at soccer - they have all the fancy moves.  The younger children who were too small to play soccer cheered on the sidelines.


After a tearful goodbye following the soccer game, our team made our way back to Addis Ababa.  Along the route home, we made a stop at Lake Wenchi.  This lake is at the bottom of a huge volcanic crater.  The crater is higher in the mountains than Gindo and was noticeably green and lush.  The lake was a beautiful blue against a green backdrop. 

The approach to Lake Wenchi.
Getting closer...
Beautiful!
We walked down to the lake from the top of the crater, approximately a 300 meter descent in 35 minutes.  It was a great workout! 
Jumping pictures are a workout too!  (Nicole, Steven and Bryce)

It was very dusty due to all the volcanic ash.  Once at the bottom I was kicking myself for not having my swimsuit - that water was really inviting. 

Lake Wenchi Waterfront
Back L to R:  Mesfin, Bryce, Nicole, Abiy, Alex, Deb
Front L to R:  Zanner, Steven, Dr. Northcott

Due to the late time of day, we had to climb back out of the crater before darkness set in.  As a result we rented little horses to carry us up.  My little horse had her work cut out for her hauling my sorry a$$ up that hill!  There were no reins to hold onto, just a little knob on the saddle.  I white knuckled it the entire way, but my horse, "Dama" , got me to the top with only a few bruises (you know where!). 

"Dama - to the top!"



No comments:

Post a Comment