Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011

Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011! As many of you know, I have the good fortune of taking a year off to travel. Please enjoy my thoughts, rants and the occasional photo from parts of the world that are new to me. Please tolerate the lack of literary genius that sprawls these pages.



Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Full Throttle

We left Lake Nakuru to spend time at Lake Naivasha, which is very well known for flamingos and pelicans.  There were thousands of pelicans as far as the eye could see. 

A few pelicans were there that day.
And One Hundred and One Pink Flamingos.
Emily, who was traveling in our tour group, was brave enough to run towards the birds for an amazing photo opp.  It was funny to watch as she approached thousands of birds in flip-flops and bare feet...ewwww...

The lake is quite shallow and filled with lily pads and beautiful floating papyrus plants in bloom.
Lake Naivasha.
Papyrus in bloom.
We signed a waiver and hopped into a little boat for an up close look at the lake and its inhabitants.  We watched a fish eagle skillfully snatch a carp out of the lake.
Greg and Zanner on the boat.  Lifejackets - safety first!
Our boat for the Lake Naivasha adventure.

Then the star attraction appeared.  Our little boat was surrounded by hippos less than 10 meters away.  I remember reading that hippos are the most aggressive and vicious safari animal.  I reminded myself to stay calm.  Our boat driver, David, did not seem to think it was an issue. 

Can you spot the hippos?
Oh, a hippo spotted me!
The hippos were eating and hanging out in large groups, mostly submerged under the water.  The hippos can touch the bottom of the lake, but all we saw were ears and eyes.  They like to spit out water and snort, especially when we got close.  It was an up close and personal experience.

All of a sudden, I look at the still waters and wonder why there is a wake in the middle of a calm lake?  Next thing I know, a hippo thinks our boat is too close to his family and is charging after us!  Holy crap!  The driver grabs the engine and guns it...FULL THROTTLE!  We had to get out of there as fast as possible.  My heart was in my throat and I was hanging on with both hands.  David grabbed his big wooden stick - seriously?  Like that would save us from the jaws of an angry hippo!  I asked him:  "David, do you have a gun?" to which he replied:  "No, I have a stick".  Seriously??   My heart was still pounding 2 hours later.

At Lake Naivasha Lodge our room was on the second floor of a cottage with a balcony, leather chairs, king size bed and a gorgeous blue tiled bathroom larger than my entire bedroom at home. 
Cottages at Lake Naivasha Lodge.
Our suite with a view.
Pretty swanky!
On the lawn outside our cottage were zebras, monkeys, antelope and giraffe.  They were all hanging out having a garden party.
Welcome to my garden party.
At night when it was dark, we had to dial zero on our phone to summon a guard (with a stick) to walk us to the main lodge and dining hall so that we would not get eaten by a hippo.  All I could think was "I sure hope he has a BIG stick!".

That night, just before bed, Greg and I stepped out onto our balcony.  There was a hippo eating grass right below our balcony, lit up by the floodlight on the roof.  It was pretty crazy, and hopefully a once in a lifetime event where we said: "Oh honey look, there's a hippo outside our door".

No comments:

Post a Comment