Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011

Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011! As many of you know, I have the good fortune of taking a year off to travel. Please enjoy my thoughts, rants and the occasional photo from parts of the world that are new to me. Please tolerate the lack of literary genius that sprawls these pages.



Monday, December 5, 2011

The Land of Comfort

Today started off with a tour of the local medical clinic in Gindo.  The clinic is a U-shaped complex and the middle is an outdoor waiting area.  This clinic deals with Tuberculosis, Malaria, HIV/AIDS, and everything else in-between (cuts, bruises, births etc.).  There is no full-time doctor at the clinic.

Sign at clinic listing services available.
 

Stretcher.


The clinic has a pediatric section as well as section for labour and delivery.  I must admit that I was quite shocked when I saw the lack or resources at the clinic.  The labour area has 2 wooden beds with no mattress, one blanket and a pillow.  The bathroom was so atrocious that I stayed outside of it to take my photo.  It's amazing what they can accomplish with so few tools, but I keep thinking how much easier it could be if we Canadians could share a bit more of what we have (and have in plenty). 
 

Labour room, 2 beds.  Most babies are delivered at home.


Delivery table.

 

Labour area washroom in disarray due to lack of resources to keep it clean and in-use.

The pharmacy at the clinic has one shelf, which was only about one third full.  The image of the empty shelf will stay with me as I feel very sad knowing we have so much back home.

As the team and I left the clinic, the little kids from Gindo walked with us.  They absolutely LOVE to hold your hand and touch any part of your body that they can reach (I got my fair share of butt slaps and giggles).  They fought over who got to hold my hand, and who had to settle for resting a hand on my forearm.  I was taken aback once again at how loving and generous these children are - they certainly are not afraid of strangers.  It is quite a breath of fresh air to give and receive affection with someone who you don't know, especially when you don't even speak the same language.

After the clinic we stopped at the garden.  I did a lame attempt at helping dig part of a compost pit at the garden.  I worked up a sweat and got really dirty; that red soil is tough!  I had barely any progress to show for my effort.  It was very humbling.


Nicole, Bryce, Steven and I put in a bit of sweat equity.
After the garden we made our way to the BEKA center.  Nicole presented a half-day course for the guardians and parents at BEKA.  The topic was grief (inward feelings) and mourning (outward actions).  I attended the course and was very grateful.  Nicole is a Social Worker with two University degrees.  She did a wonderful presentation on a very difficult subject while keeping in mind the cultural and religious barriers that may be present.  She delivered a message that many were grateful for, including myself.  I learned a lot.


Nicole presenting her course along with Alex (BEKA Project Manager) as interpreter.


At the end of the day I was invited to the home of two siblings in the BEKA program, Mebrat and Dawit.  It was such an honor to visit with their family, and see where they live.  The team engaged the mother in a conversation to make sure that all is well at home, and to see if there is any way we can help or assist. 

Seeing the homes of these amazing people did leave me with many feelings of guilt.  Why was I so lucky to be born in Canada?  Why do I have so much, and others so little?   I was brought out of my turmoil when a local  stated that the fact that the other volunteers and I left the "land of comfort" to help them, it inspires them to work harder.  It's not much, but in a way it made me feel a bit better.

That evening, back at the Woliso hotel, the power was out (again).  We had a lot of work to do preparing packages and donations for our last day at BEKA tomorrow.  It's amazing how much can be done by a motivated team under candlelight with a bunch of flashlights!
The hotel placed candles along the stairs and hallways throughout the building.
The group working away in the hallway of the hotel (Photo With No Flash).
The group working away in the hallway of the hotel (Photo With Flash).






 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment