Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011

Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011! As many of you know, I have the good fortune of taking a year off to travel. Please enjoy my thoughts, rants and the occasional photo from parts of the world that are new to me. Please tolerate the lack of literary genius that sprawls these pages.



Friday, December 2, 2011

Medical Magic

OK, I must say that I absolutely loved my time in Ethiopia, but boy-oh-boy the Woliso hotel has the world's hardest mattress and pillows.  My cold shower last night (brrr) was topped off with one of the most uncomfortable sleeps.  It could be worse - the Gindo hotel is a concrete slab with a grass woven mat for a mattress!

This morning we got to walk through the town of Woliso before heading out to Gindo.  The walk allowed me to yet again attract a large crowd, being the rock star that I am, and also see the life on the back streets of Woliso. 


I was not sure if I should include the above video in this blog, but it is what I experienced on my walk in Woliso and drive to Gindo.  I am so fortunate to be Canadian and am thankful and grateful for everything I have.

In Woliso I watched ladies drying maize on huge tarps, and ladies tossing tef grain to separate the husks so they can make injera bread. 
Local Woliso woman drying maize.

Preparing tef using a basket from which she would throw the grains into the air. 
The husks would float away and separate.

Once we arrived in Gindo the team set up a clinic in one of the offices at the BEKA center.  We put a clean plastic tablecloth on a large desk and instantly had an examining table! 
The office that we transformed into a doctor's office.

Examining table - quick and easy!

We had suitcases full of donated medical supplies, a tape measure and a weigh scale.  Each child was measured for height and weight, and then Dr. Northcott would give them a check-up.  I would get so excited when the kids were healthy and would gain weight! 

Weighing in on the digital scale.
Boys waiting for their check-up in fancy hospital gowns.

There is no iodized salt in the Ethiopian diet which causes health effects in many of the people living there (lack of iodine leads to thyroid disorders).  Dr. Northcott is implementing a program with the Ethiopian authorities to have all salt in Ethiopia iodized.  It's amazing how making a simple change to the salt manufacturing process can dramatically improve the health of many adults and children. 

More cuties waiting for their medical check-up.

It was a fantastic day watching Dr. Northcott in action.  He is extremely loving, caring and willing to teach helpers like me. I learned about the signs of malnutrition, the impact of infectious diseases and different skin conditions.  With the work that he does, and the impact he has made...he's much more than a rock star!

Dr. Northcott.

No comments:

Post a Comment