Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011

Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011! As many of you know, I have the good fortune of taking a year off to travel. Please enjoy my thoughts, rants and the occasional photo from parts of the world that are new to me. Please tolerate the lack of literary genius that sprawls these pages.



Saturday, January 15, 2011

Sleepless in Buenos Aires

I am only sleepless because there is so much to see in this amazing city!
Today I went to the most amazing bookstore - El Ateneo.  It is located inside of a very old theatre.  It has 4 stories and balcony seating where you can sit and read.  This store could very well be the best bookstore in the world.  I thought of my sister, Judy, and all my book loving friends...it is a thrilling place!  A big thank you to Michelle for suggesting it.

El Ateneo, a book lovers heaven.


The stage of the theatre is now the bookstore café - you can sit on stage and sip your Coca-Cola Light while reading a good book.  The Diva in me loved it, I almost broke into a monologue.

The stage cafe - you can still see the old equipment for the stage behind the curtains

After the bookstore I walked to the main square.  I stopped for lunch at my favorite restaurant, McDonalds (I am on a budget!)  The first McD's was too busy so I went to a second McD's about 3 blocks away.  It was also so busy I barely found a seat.  Wow - these people love their McDonalds as much as I do.  I enjoyed my cheeseburger "Cuarto de Libra Con Queso", fries and water. The line up for the $1 ice cream cones was out the door otherwise I would have had one of those too.

Looks almost the same as in Canada!

After McDonald's yummy gastronomic treat I walked to Plaza de Mayo.  This central square is  heart of Argentina's political scene.  Mothers, who's sons were killed in by the military government in what is knows as the "Dirty War", march every Thursday at 3:30 pm.  They are called the "Madres de Plaza de Mayo".  At first there were only 5 marchers.  The mothers wear white kerchiefs that have blue needlepoint on them .  A white minivan pulled up, and 15 more Mothers came out in their kerchiefs and marched.  People clapped in time with the marching, and were chanting in Spanish.  It felt very political!

Statue with the symbol of a tragic past.

Mother's March.  In the background is the Casa Rosa where the president lives.  It is from the balcony of Casa Rosa where Evita addressed the crowds.
Another district in Buenos Aires that has a lot of history is "La Boca", which means The Mouth.  It is a very old area by the river where Italian immigrants built a community.  They used the leftover paint from the shipyards to paint their houses - it was very colorful and reminded me of St. John's, Newfoundland.  It was also very sad to see how tough their lives were, and still are.  Multiple families live in one small row house.  They do have a famous soccer team - the Boca Juniors.


Corner house in La Boca.
Entranceway, La Boca.
After all this walking and exploring I am certain I will not be sleepless in Buenos Aires any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment