Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011

Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011! As many of you know, I have the good fortune of taking a year off to travel. Please enjoy my thoughts, rants and the occasional photo from parts of the world that are new to me. Please tolerate the lack of literary genius that sprawls these pages.



Monday, January 10, 2011

Take off, eh!

 
I made it!  I am safe in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

The flight from Calgary was ~1 hour late due to the blizzard (good riddance!).  The Toronto flight was 3 hours late.  The toilets on the plane weren't working and had to be fixed (Otherwise, that could have made for a really shitty flight).  I didn't read or do anything to pass the time during the 3 hour delay.  My mind was so thankful not to be cramming, planning an excel spreadsheet or visualizing a powerpoint presentation.  I truly enjoyed sitting, watching and being in the moment.  What a gift! 

I was concerned with all the warnings regarding being in BA alone.  In fact, the family that sat behind me on the flight was shocked I would come to BA alone.  Not very comforting…

All turned out well.  I met another female traveller which really helped the transition from airport to hotel.  Her name is Ashley.  She is studying at UBC to be an ophthamologist.  We exchanged some US cash for Argentine pesos, hired a remis (chauffered car) and split the cost.  It was nice to have someone to chat with.

I went out for dinner in the hotel lobby restaurant.  It was really exciting to have my first official South American "cupa de vino tinto".  Nothing extravagant or fancy, but symbolic nonetheless. The first of many, I hope! The most interesting part of eating solo was when my waiter asked: "Dos yourrr husbeend let you eat deener by yourrrself?".  Ummm...yup, I guess he does?!?

Monday, January 10, 2011

A sunny morning that turned into full rain for 30 minutes, then into a beautiful sunny day again.  Neat!

I explored downtown BA - the Microcentro.  I walked around until my feet could not take it anymore.  I walked all the way to the Retiro Terminal de Omnibus (bus station), which took about an hour.  Likely wouldn't have taken this long if I didn't keep going down the wrong roads.  (In my defense, there are multiple 5-way intersections with big parks in the middle).  When I got to the ticket booth, I needed to have ID to make the purchase.  I left all my ID in the safe in the hotel.  So, I trekked back to the hotel, only to find that my drivers license was in my bag.  Duh!  So, back to the ticket office to buy my ticket on the Via Bariloche bus to Iguazu.  I purchased SuperCama which includes a fully reclining bed/chair, dinner and breakfast.  Not too shabby!  I leave on Thursday.

Retiro Station

Plaza Fuerza

Wow, you can social network historical sites!

I was excited to walk Florida Street.  It is a pedestrian street with shops and restaurants. There was a great mall but it has the stores we do in Canada (Nike, Adidas, Puma, Estee Lauder etc.).  The streets are all filled with people, but Florida Street was shoulder to shoulder.

Florida Street - is that dude taking my picture?
After Florida Street I found the Obelisk.  It is on the largest avenue in the world (9 de Julio).  I counted at least 14 lanes of traffic, with an 8 car turning lane!  The buildings are all very old, and many are sandstone and about 10 stories high.  The balconies all have the traditional Spanish wrought iron railings.   There is so much history here that as a Canadian - I really recognize how young our country and cities are.

Count 'em - 14 lanes of traffic, not including the 2 side streets!

Obelisk and tree.
I had lunch in the famous Café Tortoni.  The café was built in  1854 and is where many artists would hang out.  The bar inside was dark wood with brass and there was stained glass and marble throughout.  I had my first "borderless sandwich", and Argentine classic.  It was a grilled cheese with ham and tomato - with the crusts cut off.  I felt like a spoiled 8 year old and loved every minute of it!

Streetside entrance.

Amazing ceiling in Cafe Tortoni.
I walked to Teatro Colon - the famous theatre in BA.  Unfortunately it was closed.  The sad thing is that it has been closed for renovations since 2004 and the mayor promised it would be open in 2010 for the centennial celebration.  Oops, guess he missed that one.
Teatro Colon (theatre).

1 comment:

  1. Hi Zanner,
    We miss you! Got spanked last night against Triwood. The team was thinking of you and thought, "what would Zanner say", "Think the ring is like a diamond", it didn't work. Love the Blog! TL

    ReplyDelete