Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011

Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011! As many of you know, I have the good fortune of taking a year off to travel. Please enjoy my thoughts, rants and the occasional photo from parts of the world that are new to me. Please tolerate the lack of literary genius that sprawls these pages.



Monday, January 17, 2011

Waterworld

The bus trip to Puerto Iguazu was fast - only 15 hours and 30 minutes as opposed to the planned 18 hours.  The waiter on the bus was young and he never once made eye contact with me.  Not once!  It became a game for me throughout the trip.  I lost.  


Bus to Puerto Iguazu.
The bus provided a super comfy big pillow and a full fleece blanket - not airplane sized scratchy stuff.  However, it is definitely a bus - old, run down and the bathroom was disgusting.  They served dinner and breakfast which were both very yummy.  All in all, I was quite impressed.
My "cama" comfy sleeper bed...if only they had these in the airplane economy section.
I arrived in Iguazu and the heat and humidity was like nothing I have felt before.  The taxi brought me straight to the Secret Garden B&B - no problemo!  I met the owner's friend, Anna, who showed me to my room.  It was very cute, an older cabin style.  The bedspread reminded me of the one I had when I was five!  It had hardwood floors and wallboard that was painted light, minty green.  The bathroom was awesome with ceramic tile and a great shower.  Very clean.
My room at the Secret Garden Bed & Breakfast, Puerto Iguazu.
Yes, there is a secret garden at the Secret Garden B&B!
My room from the outside, I sat in the chair and read my book which was very relaxing.
Anna is studying agriculture and wants to get her Ph.D. in plant and insect research.  She told me all about the beautiful butterflies they have here - there are tons of them and they are amazingly beautiful; some are the size of your hand!  She said that the butterflies are able to get glucose and carbs from the plants, but they also need minerals and salt in their diet.  That is why they like to land on the sweaty people, for the free salt.  It's amazing - they are so beautiful and tame.
Funky black & white butterfly.
Beautiful Blue Butterfly.
"Mr. Butterfly, the time is exactly 11:26 am"
Once I was cleaned up from the long bus trip, I found the public transit bus stop and got on the bus.  Yes, I actually took public transit!  The bus took me to the "CATARATAS", the falls.  I went on the little train to the trail head for the bridge that takes you to the "Devils Throat".  There was a 1km steel bridge that takes you across the water to the falls.  In Canada, when you approach a waterfall, the air gets noticeably cooler.  It was so stinkin' hot that there was no drop in temperature at all.  Even at the falls the spray from the falls covers you, but it happens so quick it barely cools you off.  I had time to get a photo before 50 other people showed up.  Damn tourists!  So far on this trip, my timing has been perfect.
Little train that takes you to the different sections of the falls.
El Turista!

On the left is a little corner of Brazil!  And a beautiful rainbow in between.
    
The water falls are awe inspiring.  The falls stretch for approximately 1 km and are on both sides of the river.  One side is Argentina, and the other side is Brazil.  I went in a boat that went right into the falls and I got drenched.  I wanted to get wet just to cool off.  Talk about fun - the crowd on the boat cheered for more, and they took us in a second time.  I was laughing really hard but trying to keep my mouth shut so it didn't fill with water.  A tough thing to do!
View of some falls from the "lower circuit" trail.

I went on a similar boat, but it was motorized.
 
Iguazu Falls Video:  Argentina on the left, Brazil on the right.  This is only 25% of the falls!

No comments:

Post a Comment