Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011

Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011! As many of you know, I have the good fortune of taking a year off to travel. Please enjoy my thoughts, rants and the occasional photo from parts of the world that are new to me. Please tolerate the lack of literary genius that sprawls these pages.



Monday, June 13, 2011

Cliffhanger

I remember Jen Henderson from work telling me that if I made it to Italy - I was not to leave the country without visiting Cinque Terre (pronounced Chinka Terra).  Her in-depth description of the views immediately put these coastal villages on my bucket list. 

There are five villages that line the Mediterranean coast and create the Cinque Terre National Park:  Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza and Monterosso. 
Italian coastline along the Mediterranean Sea.

View of Corniglia.

View of Manarola and the vineyards.

Along the steep cliffs are lemon trees, pear trees and row upon row of grape vines.  The air is dry yet fresh. 
Lemon trees - perfect for making Limoncello.


The steep cliffs are home to the Cinque Terre hiking trail.  The Cinque Terre hike starts off as a gentle walk along the cliffs in a street known as "Via de L'Amore" or Lovers Lane.  The trail then evolves into a winding track along the mountainside with portions developed with man-made rustic steps and stairs.  The hike connects all five villages and requires a full day.  There was a land-slide so I had to take a bus from Corneglia to Vernazza.
Via de L'Amore.
Cinque Terre hiking trail.
Cinque Terre hiking trail stairs.

The hike offers everything a nature enthusiast requires:  steep uphill climbs, narrow winding pathways, dangerous descents as you hang onto the side of a cliff, the most picturesque views of villages built on rocks, and the sea.  As the water sparkles like diamonds, and the blue reaches from the depth of the Med, the hikers know immediately they are among the privileged.

Monterosso's coastline.
Water diamonds.

For days after the hike, oddly enough, my legs hurt when travelling downhill and not uphill.   The pain was worth it though!

The beaches along the Med coast are not sandy, and are small grey pebbles.  That did not deter the swimmers and sun tanners.  I wanted to swim but at the end of our hike it was pouring rain.  I guess this means I have to return! 

Monterosso's beach.
Beachside in Levanto
(Levanto is a village outside the Cinque Terre National Park).

Even though it was raining, I still had the best ice cream in the world.  I chose one scoop of cinnamon and one scoop of Nutella flavors which made a perfect reward after an exhausting day.
Sunset in Levanto.

No comments:

Post a Comment