Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011

Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011! As many of you know, I have the good fortune of taking a year off to travel. Please enjoy my thoughts, rants and the occasional photo from parts of the world that are new to me. Please tolerate the lack of literary genius that sprawls these pages.



Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Confessions of a Shopaholic

Milan is a beautiful city that exudes money.  The Austrian influence on Milan is apparent in the grandiose presentation of architecture, parks and city design.  With all the amazing shopping and fashion you almost feel like Milan is the epicenter of all that is European.  Almost.  The pickpockets and con-artists were out in full force and my travel friends fell victim.  This has left a bitter taste in my mouth from my experience Milanesca.

Il Salotto di Milano - Milan's famous shopping arcade.

Like Florence, Milan has a Duomo Cathedral.  The Milan Duomo architecture is gothic and the largest of it's kind in Europe. 

Duomo di Milano.

I took a lift to the roof to see first hand the work that went into the details of the sculptures, steeples and structural elements.  I felt bewildered with the craftsmanship.  Over hundreds of years, every centimeter of the church has character, an artistic touch and was thought-out and planned. 
Intricate spires on top of the Duomo.
A peek through the craftsmanship.


There is a medieval castle in the centre of the city.  The Castella Sforzesco once housed the very powerful Sforza family.  There was a moat, and probably a dungeon.  Hmmm...maybe that's where the pickpockets should be sent.
Sforza Castle tower.
Castle tower and retaining wall.  If only I could have found that dungeon!


Milan is known for shopping, and there is no shortage of designer everything at extremely high prices.  Even if I did have an income, I confess I would not have paid those prices. 


Milan Prada store.
In the famous shopping center, the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele, there is a tile floor with a mosaic of a bull.  Tradition says if you place the heel of your left foot on the bull's testicles and spin around 3 times - you will have good luck.  You should see the hole in the floor - there are no testes left at all!  All 12 people in my tour group did the "testicle twist" to ensure there will be no more stolen wallets or money issues on our travels.

3 spins on the bull for good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment