Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011

Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011! As many of you know, I have the good fortune of taking a year off to travel. Please enjoy my thoughts, rants and the occasional photo from parts of the world that are new to me. Please tolerate the lack of literary genius that sprawls these pages.



Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Devil Wears Praha

I came a long way to see this view.  Praha, known as Prague in English, is an ancient town with a strong medieval feel.  You walk up, up, up many steps surrounded by the walls of the Prague castle.  Once you arrive at the top, you peak over the wall for one of the worlds most amazing views.

Prague view from the Castle.

Old Town ancient wall and towers.

Below the castle are many buildings all with red roofs.  The river sparkles in the sun as it winds through the lower landscape.
I was not aware that the yellow Penguinus Plasticus migrated through the Czech Republic.
View of the famous Charles Bridge.

My first stop was unplanned.  As I worked my way to the main tourist sites, I could hear music along the river.  A very low key beer garden was set-up along the river.  A young Bohemian was playing guitar so I detoured for a pint of Czech beer.  I enjoyed watching the people in paddle boats on the river, and listening to well known songs delivered melodically in a Czech accent.
Bohemian guitar player.
River cruises and castle views.


Once back on track, I headed to the Castle.  The main site in the Castle plaza was St. Vitus Cathedral. 
St. Vitus Cathedral.

Upon entering I was awestruck.  The grandeur and stained glass was a beautiful kaleidoscope of color.  There were different chapels full of fresh flowers and the smell of lilies added a special touch.  I have never taken so many photos in one place before!
One of many colorful stained glass windows.
Kaleidoscope of colors.
A close up of the intricate details.

After the castle I stopped in the Lobkowicz Palace  for a Trio Concert.  In the music hall, I enjoyed an intimate concert with a piano, flute and violin. 

Mozart loved to visit Prague so there were many Mozart pieces in the concert as well as local favorite and Prague native, Anton Dvorak.  There were only about 30 people in the room, and I was in the second row.  I loved feeling like I had my own private concert.

Music is everywhere in Prague.  As I walked through the Old Town, I would follow the sounds of music tucked away in little corners.  I especially enjoyed the Staromestsky Dixieland band.
Band playing in a Prague plaza.
Clarinet solo.

However, an elderly gentleman named Anton stole the show.  I am guessing this man is in his late 70's.  Boy could he belt out the tunes!  He sang in Czech, English and Spanish, all fun songs like "Just a Gigolo".  He also played the saxophone AND trombone.  He was the heart and soul of the main plaza and everyone was dancing, clapping and happy to be witnessing such an energetic, talented character.  If I was 40 years older I certainly would have developed a crush on this guy.
Anton the Supermusician.

Every hour, the medieval knights played their trumpets from the top of the guard towers.  Every hour, the tourists stopped what they were doing, looked up to listen, and clapped for the performance.  There is an astrological clock that performs on the hour.  Tourists clapped for that as well.  Hopefully the trumpeters don't feel bad.
Astrological clock.
My favorite memory of Prague was my dinner along the river.  I randomly picked a restaurant close to the water with a nice view.  I was flipping through my map when the couple next to me asked where I was visiting from.  After chatting, they invited me to sit with them at their table.  Oh conversation, how I have missed thee!  Bill and Marlene Wertheim are from New York and are visiting Prague on their way home from Haifa, Israel.  We had a lovely evening sharing travel stories.  I am very thankful to Bill & Marlene for including me and for being so kind.
The Wertheims:  kindred travel spirits.

In the evening I rode the funicular up to the Petrin, or the Rozhledna, which is a steel tower similar to the Eiffel Tower.  Again, more stairs!  As the sun was setting, there were no line ups (this is a first for me in Europe!).  The most beautiful view was mine alone.  No photograph can capture a time like this.
The Rozhledna, Prague's viewing tower.  Yes, I walked up all those stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment