Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011

Welcome to Zannerpalooza World Tour 2011! As many of you know, I have the good fortune of taking a year off to travel. Please enjoy my thoughts, rants and the occasional photo from parts of the world that are new to me. Please tolerate the lack of literary genius that sprawls these pages.



Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Sound of Music

The hills are alive in Vienna.   I feel that Vienna is the city of  everything.  It has history, palaces, and museums in contrast with modern office towers and advanced architecture. 
Vienna Museum (one of many).
Beautiful blue Danube river with a restaurant, bar and swimming pool.
Along the Danube canal there are many beach bars with sand and deck chairs.


The city is very clean and filled with grand rivers and refined parks.  Vienna is elegant, regal, alluring and serene, and full of Mozart .

There are Mozart stores on every corner.
My new favorite chocolate - the Mozart Kugeln.

My train ride into Vienna was a tough one.  It was 30 degrees and the train had no air conditioning and no windows that opened.  I was not feeling well and it was a five hour ride in a cabin stuffed with 5 other people.  My cabin-mate from Brazil called it hell. 
One of Vienna's train stations - Hutteldorf.

Upon arriving in Vienna, everything was closed.  I did not have a map as I usually pick one up at the info booth at the train station.  Oops, that was closed too.  Luckily I have a Frommers guide book and I managed to figure out how to take 2 metro trains to the general area of where I was staying.  The book didn't have enough detail to get me to my apartment that I rented.  I decided to be adventurous and venture out in the heat with all my luggage.  Luckily after about 20 blocks - I found it! 

Sadly, the apartment was also closed.  I was locked out.  It's Sunday in Vienna and Zanner is stranded.   Ah, the joys of traveling!  I managed to walk around with all my luggage until I found a phone booth, called the apartment owner and sorted everything out.  Keep in mind that all stores and restaurants were closed.  It made for a long night in my apartment with only some crackers to eat.  Good thing I have plenty of stored reserves.

My apartment was tastefully decorated with Gustav Klimt artwork (Vienna's famous artist).
A travellers dream - a modern, full bath AND laundry.

After the ordeal of my Viennese arrival (which was on my birthday nonetheless), I treated myself to a Mozart and Strauss concert with a 30 piece orchestra in the famous Musikereunde Golden Hall, home of the Vienna Philharmonic.  
Vienna Philharmonic Concert Hall - the Musikereunde.

The musicians dressed up in typical costumes complete with wigs just like Mozart would have worn.  It was a fun concert as the conductor turned to the audience and would let us clap along.  Not the stuffy, uptight concert I was expecting.   The orchestra stole the show with Strauss' "Blue Danube" waltz.

Musicians a la Mozart.

Just outside Vienna is the Schonbrunn palace.  It has beautiful gardens (similar to Versailles) and a large tower.  I climbed the tower to view the grandeur that is Vienna. 

The Gloriette tower on Schonbrunn Hill.

View of Schonbrunn Palace and Vienna from the Gloriette.

The grounds at Schonbrunn also contain a zoo.  I am personally against zoos as I believe that all animals prefer their native setting and not cages.   I did not visit (on principal) but I will give a shout-out to this zoo as they have reversed the set-up.  The people now walk in the enclosures and the animals are free to roam about.
Statue next to the zoo at Schonbrunn.

One of the most fun things to do in Vienna is visit the Prater park.  The Prater is an amusement park filled with fun rides that we don't have in Canada. 
The famous Prater ferris wheel.

I could not stop laughing as I watched the kids on the rides, screaming as they got wet or were spun upside down in a frenzy.  Laughter truly is the best medicine.
The ride operator teased these kids with the water and then finally soaked them -
much to the enjoyment of those watching.

Due to the train schedule, I did not have time to enjoy any rides.  I figure you are never too old to have fun so promised myself to return to this park someday to ride the Prater Turm. 
Prater Turm in the distance.
Prater Turm in the sun.

As I enjoy my year of travel, instead of simply ticking off items on my bucket list, I seem to be adding new ones.  Now that's music to my ears!

No comments:

Post a Comment